*This lesson coincides with chapter 3 (Follow the Rules) from Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger von Oech.
Lesson created by Claudia Rubio
Grade level range: 4-6
Length of time to teach lesson: 8 minutes
Overview of lesson: To challenge our norms/rules by using the opposite hand/side of the body and building a common item behind our back or with our eyes closed.
Objective (Learning target) of this lesson: To look and experiment with actions in a new way and be more conscious of the action and improve our creativity.
Resources/supplies/handouts needed to teach this lesson: Paper, marker, scissors, computer mouse, computer, tangrams, timer, & rubric
Teaching instructions for the lesson: (all activities should be completed with hands behind the back or with eyes closed or blind-folded)
1) Using your dominant hand, write your name in cursive, then using your dominant hand cut around your name. *
2) Using your non-dominant hand, write your name in cursive, then using your non-dominant hand cut around your name. *
3) Using your non-dominant hand, use the mouse and keyboard and type the following words: Follow the Rules, then select and highlight the words.
4) Using the given tangrams, build a 2-story (2D) house on the table. *
5) Pull the tangrams apart, turn around and build the 2-story house behind your back or with your eyes closed. *
*Teacher will time #’s 1, 2, 4, and 5 and record the results
Assessment: Teacher assesses students (or students assess students) using the rubric.