*This lesson coincides with Chapter 3, Follow the Rules, from A Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger von Oech.
Lesson written by: Kendra Ciccarelli
|Suggested Books (paid link)|
Grade level range: 3-5
Length of time to teach lesson: 20-30 minutes
Overview of lesson: Students will be given a challenge that they must complete with their team. They will have specific directions they must follow. After they have completed the challenge, the class discusses what each group has done. Each group is then given points based on cooperation, communication, and creativity.
Objectives (Learning targets) of this lesson: Students will practice their speaking and listening skills within their groups and during class discussion. Students will work toward the most creative solution by engineering a design that completes the challenge.
Step-by-step teaching instructions:
1. Go over the rules for doing challenges with teams using power point.
Use Power point to lead the following:
2. Give the directions to the team.
3. Give them the time limit.
4. Teams do the challenge.
5. When time is up, teams step away from their design.
6. Each team gets to explain what they did to complete the challenge (see questions on power point).
7. Class discusses points that should be given to each team and why, using rubric for assessing teams.
Special Notes from the creator of this lesson: This is fun for the students and it can also be a great way to discuss directions and rules. To help them break the rules in a correct safe manner.